Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

cowboy boots and a life lesson.

Secretly, I'm just a little bit of a country girl. Not much, and not in a Texas-country way. I like to refer to my family as sophisticated (lowcountry) rednecks. But, lowcountry rednecks are different than your regular ol' run-of-the-mill rednecks. But that's not the point. The point is, I love my cowboy boots. Do I ride horses? No. Do I plan to step in manure any time soon? No. But I love my boots. And they have holes in them. So I had to buy new ones. And I did. Three pairs, because that's just how I make decisions. (Keep in mind that all three pairs could be returned with free shipping.) And, wouldn't you know it, after trying them all on, the pair I fell in love with was the first pair that had ever caught my eye. But I couldn't be sure. And if a girl can be sure about something in her life, it's got to be shoes.

Now, I would normally return the item and say, "If I want it bad enough, I'll go back for it." (I have yet to do so with any purchase.) But these I just couldn't let go of. So I've been wearing them around the house since Christmas. And today I finally wore them outside. I'm very cautious about decision-making (in case you can't tell) so the whole day I was thinking about how they felt, what they'd do in the snow, whether my feet were too warm or cold, etc. I'm in Books-a-Million with my mother at about 8 pm, and a woman comes up to me. "I love your boots," she says. "Where did you get them? What brand are they?" So I told her. Zappos, Ariat. "I'm from New Mexico," she says, "And those are the boots to get." It wasn't like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders, but it was nice to know that I'd made the right decision for me.

Note to self: trust your gut. End of story.

1 comment: