Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2012

i love my job.

So, I don't get personal and go into sappy details much. But this time I have to. I want to tell you about my job. It is one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

When my friend mentioned this job to me, she called it "glorified babysitting." Having been a nanny, I knew I could handle it. But this job was different... Special. I am a respite care worker for a child with autism, and he chose today to be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Today is also his 18th birthday. When I sat down behind him, he kept turning around and grinning. "Hi, Hannah," he said. This is the second time I've ever heard him say my name. He doesn't talk much. It's tough to get him to drink a full glass of water sometimes. Last time I was over was the first time he's brushed his teeth without my help. He likes to watch baseball, which I know nothing about. He needs help going to bathroom and changing into his pajamas. It might seem tough to get through to him, especially when he doesn't make eye contact with you. But when he does, you can see that this boy is special. Throughout the entire service, I found myself wiping away the tears streaming down my face. Seriously. Cried my eyes out. This boy is special. And so is the gospel we share. We read the scriptures together and pray before I tuck him into bed. "I love you, T." I say. I know God loves him too. The way that God loves each of His children is almost tangible to me sometimes. This boy is special, and I am beyond grateful to have him and his family in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment